This division processes passports.  All passport applications processed
by the Clerk's office must be done in person. 
You may visit our office between 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday:

Cathelene "Tina" Robinson, Clerk of Superior Court
Attention: Administration Division- C-155
136 Pryor Street, SW 
Atlanta, GA 30303
(404) 612-5374
The Secretary of State may grant and issue passports, and cause passports to be granted, issued, and verified in foreign countries by diplomatic and consular officers of the United States, and by such other employees of the Department of State who are citizens of the United States as the Secretary of State may designate, and by the chief or other executive officer of the insular possessions of the United States, under such rules as the President shall designate and prescribe for and on behalf of the United States, and no other person shall grant, issue, or verify such passports. Unless authorized by law, a passport may not be designated as restricted for travel to or for use in any country other than a country with which the United States is at war, where armed hostilities are in progress, or where there is imminent danger to the public health or the physical safety of United States travelers. Read more:

Frequently Asked Questions



1.     How long is a passport valid and when should I renew my passport?

If you were over age 16 when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 10 years. If you were age 15 or younger when your passport was issued, your passport is valid for 5 years. The Issue Date of your passport can be found on the data page of your Passport Book or on the front of your Passport Card. If possible, you should renew your passport approximately nine (9) months before it expires. Some countries require that your passport be valid at least six (6) months beyond the dates of your trip. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement is not met. If you passport has already expired, you may still be able to renew your passport by mail. See How to Renew Your U.S. Passport

2.  I'm renewing my passport. Do I get the old one back?  

Yes, we return the old, cancelled passport to you although it may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep it in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.

3.  I was recently married/divorced. How do I change my name on my passport?

I was recently married/divorced. How do I change my name on my passport??

You will need to complete Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement, within one year of the issuance date of your current valid passport and submit along with the following:

  • The same data visually displayed on the data page of the passport;
  • The passport to be replaced
  • Certified documentation of your name change (e.g., marriage certificate, divorce decree with your new name); and
  • Two recent passport photos.

After one year of the issuance date you must submit Form DS-82: Application for Passport by Mail, your current passport, certified documentation of your name change, two recent passport photos, and pay all applicable fees.

See How to Change Your Name in Your Valid Passport

4.  Do I have to provide my Social Security Number?

Failure to provide your Social Security Number may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application.

Section 6039E of the Internal Revenue Code (26 U.S.C. 6039E) requires you to provide your Social Security Number (SSN), if you have one, when you apply for a U.S. passport or renewal of a U.S. passport. If you have not been issued a SSN, enter zeros in box #5 of the passport application form you are completing. Contact the Social Security Administration to request a Number. If you are residing abroad, you must also provide the name of the foreign country in which you are residing. The U.S. Department of State must provide your SSN and foreign residence information to the Department of Treasury. If you fail to provide the information, you are subject to a $500 penalty enforced by the IRS. All questions on this matter should be directed to the nearest IRS office.  

5.     Passport - Birth Documentation & Copies of Passport Records

How do I get a certified copy of my U.S. birth certificate?
Contact the Vital Statistics office in the state where you were born.
What do I do if there is no birth record for me on file anywhere?
If you were born in the U.S. and there is no birth record on file, you will need several different documents to substantiate your citizenship. You will need:
  • A letter of no record issued from the Vital Statistics office of the state of your birth with your name and what years were searched for your birth record.
  • Early public records to prove your birth in the U.S. Learn More

If you were born outside the U.S. and your U.S. parent(s) did not register your birth at the U.S. embassy or consulate, you may apply for a U.S. passport. You will need:

  • Your foreign birth certificate showing both of your parents' names
  • Evidence of your parent(s) U.S. citizenship and
  • Your parents' marriage certificate Learn More
I was born abroad. How do I get one or more copies of my birth record?
The Department of State will not issue multiple copies of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240). However, the Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) contains the same information found on the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, can be issued in multiple copies and is acceptable proof of U.S. citizenship for all legal purposes.

If you were born in the Panama Canal Zone, learn how to request multiple copies of your PCZ Birth Certificate.

Request a Certification of Report of Birth or learn more about birth records for U.S. citizens born abroad.

How do I replace my lost or damaged Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)?
If your Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) is lost or damaged, learn how to Request a Replacement.
How do I amend my Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)?
To change a name or update your Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240), learn how to Request an Amendment.
I was married overseas. How do I get one or more copies of my marriage certificate?
Request one or more copies of your Certificate of Witness to Marriage (Abroad).
I lost a loved one overseas. How do I get one or more copies of the death certificate?
Request one or more copies of a Consular Report of Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad.
How do I obtain copies of a previous passport application?
For information on how to obtain copies of your passport records see Obtain Copies of Passport Records.

6.     What is an E-Passport?

An Electronic Passport is the same as a traditional passport with the addition of a small integrated circuit (or chip) embedded in the back cover. The chip stores: The same data visually displayed on the data page of the passport; A biometric identifier in the form of a digital image of the passport photograph, which will facilitate the use of face recognition technology at ports-of-entry; The unique chip identification number; and a digital signature to protect the stored data from alteration.  For more information see the U.S. Electronic Passport.

7.     Where are the instructions for filling out the passport forms?

Form instructions can be found on each form or the following Form pages:

8.     Help! My passport has already been issued and mailed to me, but I have not received it. What do I do?

Contact the National Passport Information Center. A Customer Service Representative will confirm the date your passport mailed to you, the address to which it was mailed and, if necessary, help you to report the non-receipt of your passport.

You have 90 days from the date your passport was issued to report that you have not yet received it in the mail. If you do not report the non-receipt of your passport within 90 days of the issue date, you will be required to reapply and submit the full passport fee

9.     I am preparing for official travel. How do I obtain my diplomatic, official or regular no-fee passport?

The Special Issuance Agency, located in Washington, D.C., issues no-fee passports to citizens traveling abroad for the U.S. Government, their dependents (if permitted to accompany them), and certain others who are exempt by law from payment of the passport fee.

For information see Diplomatic, Official, and Regular No-Fee Passports.

10.  How many blank visa pages do I need to travel?

Some countries require your passport have two (2) to four (4) blank visa/stamp pages. Some airlines will not allow you to board if this requirement in not met.

See Add Extra Pages for how to request more visa pages. 

11.   Who should maintain a valid U.S. passport?

 Passport Services recommends that the following U.S. citizens maintain valid U.S. passports. Those:

  • with family living or traveling abroad
  • thinking about a vacation abroad, or
  • with a job that could require international travel.

In the event of an emergency involving a family member abroad, a short-notice airfare bargain, or an unexpected business trip, already having a valid U.S. passport will save time, money and stress.

12.     I am traveling very soon. How do I get a passport in a hurry

See How to Get Your Passport in a Hurry.  

13.  How long does it take to get a passport?

Processing times can vary depending on workload and occasional unforeseen circumstances such as natural disasters. During busier times, such as the summer travel season, we encourage customers to expedite their applications if traveling in less than 10 weeks.

See Application Processing Times for more information.